First sleepovers can be exciting, fun, scary, and overwhelming all at once. We’ve been there! Here are our top tips for your child’s first sleepover to make it a successful, fun, and rewarding experience:
- Start with giving them a sense of independence. If they feel independent and confident going into the sleepover- the odds of them staying and enjoying their first night out of their house will increase. Independence can be created in several ways…. having them decide what time they go and what time they get picked up, having them choose a game to bring or a favorite snack to share, or having them pack their own bags. BuddyBagz are great for this because it’s your child’s own space to pack what they love!
- Always have them bring something that is “familiar”….whether that’s a pillow they use every night, a stuffed animal or blanket they sleep with or a favorite toy. It will help give them a feeling of home away from home!
- Ensure that they know they are still connected with you….write them a note letting them know how proud you are of them….send them with their favorite picture of the family in case they get lonely and need to see you… pack things like this to surprise them in their BuddyBagz’ secret compartment so that it’s just a sweet surprise from you to them.
- Send them with a nightlight or book light so that if they are concerned about their different surroundings- they can have a little light to make them feel more comfortable. Waking up in a new place in the middle of the night can be scary, which is why we include a nightlight with every Buddy.
- Finally, always let them know that you are only a phone call away if they chose to come home instead!